Jul 25, 2024  
2017-2018 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog 
2017-2018 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

College of Architecture Graduate Programs

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Graduate Programs by College


The College of Architecture awards three graduate degrees:

  • Master of Architecture – The M.Arch. is a professional degree accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board. The college has an agreement with the Rawls College of Business allowing students to seek a dual Master of Architecture (M.Arch.)/Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) degree.
  • Master of Science in Architecture – The M.S. in Architecture is a post-professional research-based academic degree.
  • Doctor of Philosophy in Land-Use Planning, Management, and Design – The Ph.D. in LPMD is an interdisciplinary degree program that accepts students from diverse educational backgrounds.

Students applying to any of the three degree programs must have an appropriate bachelor’s degree from any undergraduate program. All students must make application to and meet the requirements of the Texas Tech University Graduate School and the College of Architecture. The following criteria will be considered in the admission process: GRE scores, GPA, academic transcripts, portfolio of work, letters of recommendation, statement of interest, exceptional extracurricular activities, and professional work.

Students applying to the Master of Architecture program with an undergraduate degree other than the B.S. in Architecture from Texas Tech University must request an audit of their transcripts. All applicants must submit a portfolio of work to the college to determine the amount of leveling courses required to comply with the entry into the professional degree program.

Transfer courses applicable to a student’s degree plan at the graduate level are determined by the college administration and the Graduate School. Refer to the “Transfer Courses ” section.

Comprehensive Exam. The Comprehensive Exam is a review of the student’s work at the end of the second topical studio. Students will present work from the comprehensive studio and two topical studios to a faculty committee. Depending on the results of the review, students may be required to satisfactorily complete an additional studio or specific course assignments.

Off-Campus Programs. Students seeking a Master of Architecture degree are required to have a practicum experience documented by the Intern Development Program administered by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB). This requirement may be met with participation in the Practicum + Studio Program, Residency Program, or other documented practicum experience as approved by the associate dean for academics.

Attendance. Students in the college will attend all scheduled class meeting times and activities. Absences in excess of those stipulated in each individual course syllabus may result in an F in the course.

Computer Requirement. Students entering the graduate programs in architecture are required to have their own computer in the classroom and studio. Computer equipment and software must be compatible with college standards. The college will provide a studio workspace in which to keep the equipment in the architecture building. Some software is provided by the college. See the college website at www.arch.ttu.edu for more details. The college does not take responsibility for loss or damage to the equipment in the building.

Ownership of Student Work. The college reserves the right to retain, exhibit, and reproduce work submitted by students. Work submitted for a grade is the property of the college and remains such until it is returned to the student.

Architecture Research and Design Center (ARDC). The ARDC is the clearinghouse for scholarly work, research, and creative activity in the college. The ARDC provides lab and studio space for faculty scholarship and often provides financial assistantship for students through research and graduate assistantship. Contact the college for information on these positions.

Program Offerings & Course Descriptions


    Master’sDoctoralGraduate Certificates

    The director of each certificate, in consultation with the director of graduate studies, will develop and specify a program of study appropriate for each student. If students decide to pursue studies beyond the certificate level, course credit earned toward the certificate can be considered toward a graduate degree.

    Graduate certificates are intended to meet the supplemental post-baccalaureate education needs of professionals. A graduate certificate program is a set of courses that provides in-depth knowledge in a subject matter. The set of courses provides a coherent knowledge base.

    A student applying for a graduate certificate program will be admitted with a “GCRT” designation. Some certificate programs require the GRE or GMAT, and some do not. To take any graduate course, all prerequisite courses (including undergraduate courses) must be taken and necessary background obtained before attempting the course. A student will be required to have a baccalaureate degree to start a graduate certificate program. There is only one exception to having a baccalaureate degree. If an undergraduate student from Texas Tech University has a 3.0 GPA or better and is within 12 hours of completion of a baccalaureate degree, the student may start taking graduate courses toward a graduate certificate. The student must have a baccalaureate degree to receive a graduate certificate.

    Graduate credits earned while the student is enrolled in a graduate certificate program may not be applied toward a graduate degree unless the student completes the GRE or GMA T and enrolls as a fully accredited graduate student. After taking the GRE or GMA T and fulfilling all other admission requirements, a student may use the courses taken for a graduate certificate degree if the courses fulfill the requirements of the program of study for the degree.

    Graduate students may pursue a graduate certificate that is outside their graduate program of study. No more than one transfer course (if approved by the advisor of the graduate certificate program and the Graduate School) will be allowed for a graduate certificate program. If a graduate student is in good standing and dropping out of the graduate program, the student may receive a graduate certificate if the necessary courses have been taken. To receive a graduate certificate, a student must have a GPA of 3.0 or better. No grade lower than a C will be accepted.


      ARCH - Architecture (Graduate Courses)LPMD - Land-Use Planning, Management, and Design (Graduate Courses)

      Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Graduate Programs by College