About the Creative Media Industries (CMI) Bachelor’s Program
This program is designed to train storytellers proficient in convergent media forms who can exhibit excellence in the creation and analysis of creative media content in diverse U.S. and global media marketplaces. The creative media industries program offers professional courses in film, television, digital/interactive media, audio, photography, and writing to provide a broad and thorough liberal arts education. This is not simply a skills-oriented program. It is devoted to preparing students for leadership positions in creative media industries.
CMI degree graduates will:
1. Demonstrate and apply understanding of the technical, cultural, and industrial history of creative media, and demonstrate proficiency in traditional storytelling forms and techniques.
2. Demonstrate proficiency in current, industry-standard digital storytelling techniques and modalities, with particular emphasis on serving diverse audiences, addressing clients’ needs, and building one’s professional portfolio.
3. Demonstrate the capacity to think critically and analytically, perform research and devise data-informed strategies, and anticipate the creative media forms and trends of the future.
4. Demonstrate effective collaborative and leadership skills, as well as effective interpersonal communication strategies.
5. Demonstrate the capacity to evaluate the aesthetic, cultural, ethical, and legal impact of creative media in the context of a global communication system.
Communication Literacy Requirement. Students majoring in Creative Media Industries are expected to demonstrate communication proficiency in courses across the degree curriculum. In particular, the Creative Media Industries faculty wish to ensure that students are first and foremost capable writers, but also that they are able to communicate visually, digitally, aurally, analytically, and among various cultural and social groups. The CL plan for creative media industries major is comprised of 18 credits (six courses): CMI 4320 ; JCMI 2301 , JCMI 2302 ; either JOUR 2310 or MCOM 2320 ; either CMI 3358 or CMI 3335 ; and either CMI 3370 or CMI 4370 or CMI 4375 .
Total Hours: 120
Students majoring in creative media industries are required to complete 49 hours from the following core courses: MCOM 1100 or one-hour CMI practicum; MCOM 1300 , MCOM 1301 , MCOM 2350 , MCOM 3300 , MCOM 3320 , MCOM 2320 or JOUR 2310 , JCMI 2301 , JCMI 2302 , CMI 3308 , CMI 2310 , CMI 3315 , CMI 3340 , CMI 3380 , CMI 3390 or CMI 4320 or CMI 4312 , CMI 3355 or CMI 3358 , CMI 3370 or CMI 4370 or CMI 4375 .
Creative media industries majors are required to take 3 hours of ENGL credit beyond ENGL 1301 and ENGL 1302 and 3 hours of ECO credit.
Creative Media Industries majors are also required to complete 18 hours of elective credit. A minimum of 12 hours of the electives must have a “Portfolio Development” (PDE) designation (see below).