Oct 01, 2023
About the Popular Music Undergraduate Minor
The undergraduate music minor in popular music studies seeks to educate students in the music we interact with each day. Students will gain an appreciation for the ways in which music is created, shared, commercialized, and valued. This classroom-based minor requires no previous musical training, and completion of courses within this minor will satisfy the Creative Arts core requirement.
Required Courses (6 hours):
Elective Courses (12 hours):
(Choose 12 semester credit hours from the following. Six hours must be upper level.)
- MUSI 1000 - Special Topics in Music
- MUSI 1300 - Creating the Critical Listener 3 Semester Credit Hours ††
- MUSI 3000 - Advanced Special Topics in Music
- MUHL 1308 - Music in Western Civilization 3 Semester Credit Hours (study abroad option)†
- MUHL 1309 - Introduction to Musical Cultures of the World 3 Semester Credit Hours
- MUHL 2304 - History of Jazz 3 Semester Credit Hours †
- MUHL 2307 - Music and Globalization 3 Semester Credit Hours ††
- MUHL 2308 - Musics of Latin America 3 Semester Credit Hours †
- MUHL 2309 - World Music Musicianship 3 Semester Credit Hours
- MUHL 2310 - History of Rock and Roll 3 Semester Credit Hours †
- MUHL 2312 - Music of the Beatles 3 Semester Credit Hours
- MUHL 3305 - History of Mariachi 3 Semester Credit Hours
- MUHL 4300 - Special Topics in Music History and Literature 3 Semester Credit Hours (Frank Zappa, Music in the US, Asian Pop Music, Women in Music, or Musical Iconography)
- MUHL 4307 - Women and Music: From Hildegard to Hip-Hop 3 Semester Credit Hours
- MUAP 1001 - Applied Music V1-4 Semester Credit Hours (Group Voice, Group Piano, or Group Guitar; no previous experience required)
- MUTH 1300 - Songwriting 3 Semester Credit Hours †
- MUTH 1301 - Music Theory Fundamentals 3 Semester Credit Hours
Any MUEN Music Ensemble
- MUEN 1103 - Marching Band 1 Semester Credit Hours (Fulfills Personal Fitness and Wellness requirement)**
- MUEN 3101 - Choir 1 Semester Credit Hours (University Singers, Women’s Chorale, Matador Singers, University Choir, Lubbock Chorale)**
- MUEN 3102 - Opera Theatre 1 Semester Credit Hours (Opera and Opera Theatre)**
- MUEN 3103 - Band 1 Semester Credit Hours (Marching Band, University Band, Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Symphonic Wind Ensemble)**
- MUEN 3104 - Orchestra 1 Semester Credit Hours (String Orchestra, University Symphony Orchestra, Ensemble Bravura)**
- MUEN 3105 - Jazz Ensemble 1 Semester Credit Hours (Jazz Ensemble I, Jazz Ensemble II)**
- MUEN 3106 - Chamber Ensemble V1-6 Semester Credit Hours **
- MUEN 3110 - Medium Ensemble V1-6 Semester Credit Hours **
* Offered in rotation. See advisor for currently available topics. Repeatable for credit with different topic designation.
** Ensemble audition may be required. Subject to availability.
† Fulfills Creative Arts core curriculum requirement.
†† Fulfills Creative Arts and Multicultural requirements.