May 09, 2021
About the Languages and Cultures Bachelor’s Programs
The Bachelor of Arts in Languages and Cultures consists of 33 hours at the 2000-level and above, including CMLL 2305. As part of the required hours, each of the degree’s four concentrations must include the following:
- Classics – A minimum of 6 hours of two 4000-level Classics courses (6 hours)
- French – A minimum of four 4000-level French courses (12 hours)
- German – A minimum of four 4000-level German courses (12 hours).
- Russian Language and Area Studies – A minimum of two 4000-level Russian courses (6 hours)
Students must make a C or better in departmental courses to be eligible for graduation
Communication Literacy Requirement. Students attending Texas Tech University for the first time in the Fall 2017 term or later will complete a Communication Literacy (CL) requirement in their program(s) of study.
Texas Tech University’s transition from the Writing Intensive requirement to the Communication Literacy requirement signals the university’s awareness that in addition to the fundamental role that writing plays in enabling students to explore, develop, focus, and organize a message, other types of communication must also be taught as appropriate for a student’s discipline. Throughout each program of study, then, students must be given ample opportunity to develop their skills in forms of communication central to that program.
Communication Literacy Courses
Students with a concentration in German must complete five Communication Literacy (CL) courses, including two at the 3000-level, and three at the 4000-level, from GERM 3301 , GERM 3303 , GERM 3304 , GERM 3306 , GERM 4303 , and GERM 4305 . The department requires students with a minor in German to take two CL courses at the 3000-level.
Recommended Sample Curriculum
- GERM 4303 - German Classics 3 Semester Credit Hours
- Minor (3000 or 4000 Level) 6 Semester Credit Hours
- Multicultural Elective 3 Semester Credit Hours *
- Language, Philosophy and Culture Elective 3 Semester Credit Hours *
- GERM (4000 Level) 3 Semester Credit Hours
- Minor (3000 or 4000 Level) 3 Semester Credit Hours
- Language, Phil. & Culture Elective 3 Semester Credit Hours *
- Creative Arts Elective 3 Semester Credit Hours *
- Personal Fitness and Wellness 1 Semester Credit Hours *
Total Hours: 120
* Refer to the General Degree Requirements of Arts and Sciences for a complete list of qualifying courses.
- A summer or semester of study abroad is strongly recommended.
- See an advisor for courses that fulfill the Language, Philosophy & Culture and Multicultural requirements.