Jul 24, 2024  
2022-2023 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Bobbie Brown, Registrar

Office of the Registrar | 103 West Hall | Box 45015
Lubbock, TX 79409-5015 | T 806.742.3661
F 806.742.0355 | www.reg.ttu.edu

Prior to each semester or summer term, a registration period takes place, during which the formal process of enrollment in the university is completed. Students must complete the admission process and be formally admitted to the university prior to registration. Upon admission to the university, students are provided with additional materials and information regarding the registration process.

Registration Status. Priority for time of registration is generally based upon the student’s classification as designated by Academic Council. Exceptions to any of the assigned registration times will not be made.

See the Graduate School  section of this catalog for information specific to graduate students.

Matriculation Number. Upon admission to the university, each student is assigned a Tech ID (R Number), which is used for matriculation and record identification purposes.

Stop Enrollment/Stop Registration. Insufficient information or improper information given by the student on any admission or registration form will constitute cause for delaying the admission or enrollment for the student. Students with this type of administrative hold on their records may be denied registration. For information about administrative holds and status of holds on students’ records, refer to “Administrative Holds ” in the Academic Requirements  section of this catalog.

Name Changes and Identity Designations. Students who have a change in legal name must complete the Student Legal Name/Identification Correction Form and submit official documentation of the legal name change to the Registrar’s Office. 

Texas Tech strives to provide an inclusive educational environment for all students. The university recognizes the importance of affording students with the opportunity to designate a chosen first name and/or gender identity where possible. However, in certain circumstances and within some official documents, legal designations may be required by law or university policy (e.g., official transcripts, financial aid records, payroll). The chosen first name will be the sole first name used for professional communication and identification purposes. Students who wish to elect a chosen first name or gender identity designation must submit the Student Identity Change Form to the Registrar’s Office. The Student Identity Change Form is required for gender identity designations and/or chosen first name changes and should not be used for preferred first name (i.e., nickname) designations. The preferred first name may be updated via Raiderlink (My Personal Information) and is used for shortened legal name or nickname purposes.

All official transcripts are issued under the student’s legal name as recorded in the Registrar’s Office.

Registration of Undergraduate Students in Graduate Courses. An undergraduate student who is within 12 semester hours of graduation and has at least a B average in the major subject may enroll for courses carrying graduate credit, subject to the approval of the dean of the academic college and the Dean of the Graduate School. This approval must be obtained on special forms provided by the Graduate School at the time of registration. Once approved, a permit for registration will be issued by the Graduate School. No course taken without this approval may be counted for graduate credit.

An undergraduate who is permitted to enroll for graduate credit as described above but has not previously taken the Aptitude Test of the Graduate Record Examinations may be required by specific degree programs to take the test during the first semester of enrollment in graduate courses.

Students who enroll in accelerated graduate degree programs will be coded as a graduate student at the point they have completed 90 undergraduate credit hours and a minimum of 120 combined undergraduate and graduate hours. Students who gain early admission to graduate school will be coded as a graduate student after they have completed all requirements for the undergraduate degree. The maximum course load that may be carried by an undergraduate taking courses for graduate credit is 16 credit hours in a semester or 6 hours in a summer term. An undergraduate may not accumulate more than 12 semester hours for graduate credit before being admitted to the Graduate School. Undergraduates permitted to enroll for graduate credit are expected to complete all of their undergraduate requirements within the academic year in which they first enroll for graduate credit.

It is the responsibility of the student to obtain the necessary forms and to follow prescribed procedures in registering for any course. An undergraduate student who enrolls in a course for graduate credit without obtaining proper approval will be dropped from that course.

Undergraduate students enrolled in graduate credit may not be paid financial aid for graduate credit hours. Graduate students enrolled in undergraduate credit may not be paid financial aid for undergraduate credit hours.

Change of Schedule. Student-initiated changes in schedule, including adding and dropping courses, should be arranged via MyTech by the appropriate deadlines; changes are not official until all steps in the process have been completed. The university reserves the right to make changes to a student’s schedule.

Enrollment Without Credit. Persons who wish to audit a course for no grade must obtain written permission from the dean of the college in which the course is offered. Those who audit a course do so for the purpose of hearing or seeing only; they do not have the privilege of participating in class discussions or laboratory or field work, of turning in papers, or of receiving a grade or credit in the course. Students who audit a course will not be listed on the class roster, and no notation of the audit will be made on the student’s transcript.

Students enrolled for fewer than 12 semester credit hours in a semester (6 hours in summer) must pay a fee (per semester credit hour) for the privilege of auditing a course. Written permission from the dean of the college in which the course is being taught and from the course instructor is required. This permission must be supplied to Student Business Services for payment. No charge is assessed for enrollment of 12 or more semester credit hours. Senior citizens 65 years of age and older are exempt from payment of this fee regardless of the number of semester credit hours.

Exemptions for Texas Veterans Under the Hazlewood Act. The purpose of the state’s Hazlewood Exemption (Hazlewood Act) is to provide an education benefit to honorably discharged or separated Texas veterans and to eligible dependent children and spouses of Texas veterans. For more information see Military and Veterans Programs at: www.mvp.ttu.edu

Veterans’ Certification. Each student using federal VA Educational Assistance is responsible for providing accurate information to Military and Veterans Programs. Because the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs requires updated information concerning any changes, students must report all changes of status in their academic schedule or address. Undergraduate students who have accumulated 64 or more credit hours must file a copy of their official degree plan or teacher certification plan with the Veterans Coordinator or enrollment certification will be canceled. Graduate students must be admitted into an approved program and provide a degree plan as soon as possible after enrollment in Texas Tech.

All students using these federal or state benefits must be certified immediately following registration each semester through the Department of Military and Veterans Programs, 147 Drane Hall, 806.742.6877, www.mvp.ttu.edu.

Any student using the federal or state Tuition Assistance Program through the Department of Defense should provide documentation to Student Business Services, 301 West Hall, 806.742.3272, sbs.ttu.edu.

Advising and Registration Tools. To support students in the processes of academic advising, schedule building, and course registration, the university provides a variety of helpful resources. Students may prepare for registration by utilizing the quick enrollment checklist (j.mp/ttusuccessgo). Academic advising appointments can be scheduled online via www.strive.ttu.edu. A more comprehensive Campus Resource Guide for Student Success is also available online at www.provost.ttu.edu/success/resources.