Sep 24, 2023
The minor in Sustainability is a cross-college, interdisciplinary minor designed in collaboration with multiple colleges across TTU. The minor offers a wide range of suitable courses and advisors from collaborating units. The Sustainability Minor is housed in the Davis College. A minimum of 18 hours is required for this minor. Students must have a minimum 2.75 Texas Tech University GPA to complete the minor. Transfer students without Texas Tech University coursework must have a minimum 2.75 transfer GPA. No more than 6 credit hours from a student’s respective major can count toward this minor. Unless approved by the course instructor, course prerequisites must be met prior to taking each course. A student must earn a grade of C or greater in each course counted toward this minor. Unless approved by an advisor, courses must be completed at Texas Tech University.
Student learning outcomes:
Upon completing this Minor, students will be able to:
- Define sustainability broadly, and within the context of each emphasis area
- Demonstrate an understanding of the interdependence of natural resources and social/economic systems
- Recognize and predict global sustainability benefits, opportunities, and challenges within each emphasis area
- Identify tools and strategies to address sustainability challenges within each emphasis area
- Identify, act on, and evaluate professional and personal actions with the knowledge and appreciation of interconnections among economic, environmental, and social perspectives
- Students must have a minimum 2.75 TTU GPA. Transfer students without a TTU GPA must have a cumulative 2.75 transfer GPA.
- A minor plan will consist of a minimum of 18 hours.
- At least 6 of the 18 hours must be upper division (3000 or 4000) courses.
- No more than 6 credit hours from a student’s respective major can count toward this minor.
- Prerequisites must be met prior to taking each course, unless approved by the course instructor.
- A minimum grade of C is needed to complete each course in the minor plan.
- Courses must be taken at Texas Tech University, unless approved by an advisor.
Davis College: Dr. Jyotsna Sharma (firstname.lastname@example.org) / Ms. Diann Merriman (email@example.com)
Arts & Sciences: Ms. Kacey Marshall (firstname.lastname@example.org; Renewable Energy Program)
Human Sciences: Dr. Shane Blum (email@example.com)
University Studies: Ms. Kelsey Kern (kelsey.Kern@ttu.edu)
TTU-Costa Rica: Ms. Luciana Mendiola (Luciana.Mendiola@ttu.edu)
Complete 18 hours from any one of the options below, or consult with an advisor if interested in mixing courses from the three options to customize the minor. An asterisk (*) indicates no prerequisites. The dagger symbol (†) indicates that the course is offered online (either only online or both online and on-campus)
The title of the minor will remain ‘Sustainability,’ regardless of the courses chosen by students.
Sustainable Agriculture & Natural Resources
Sustainable Energy & Engineering
Sustainability in Art, Architecture & Society