Apr 08, 2020
About the Languages and Cultures Bachelor’s Programs
The Bachelor of Arts in Languages and Cultures consists of 33 hours at the 2000-level and above, including CMLL 2305. As part of the required hours, each of the degree’s four concentrations must include the following:
- Classics – A minimum of 6 hours of two 4000-level Classics courses (6 hours)
- French – A minimum of four 4000-level French courses (12 hours)
- German – A minimum of four 4000-level German courses (12 hours).
- Russian Language and Area Studies – A minimum of two 4000-level Russian courses (6 hours)
Students must make a C or better in departmental courses to be eligible for graduation
Communication Literacy Requirement. Students attending Texas Tech University for the first time in the Fall 2017 term or later will complete a Communication Literacy (CL) requirement in their program(s) of study.
Texas Tech University’s transition from the Writing Intensive requirement to the Communication Literacy requirement signals the university’s awareness that in addition to the fundamental role that writing plays in enabling students to explore, develop, focus, and organize a message, other types of communication must also be taught as appropriate for a student’s discipline. Throughout each program of study, then, students must be given ample opportunity to develop their skills in forms of communication central to that program.
Recommended Sample Curriculum
- GRK or LAT 2301 3 Semester Credit Hours
- English Literature (2000 Level) 3 Semester Credit Hours
- Life & Physical Sciences Elective 4 Semester Credit Hours *
- MATH Elective (1000 Level) 3 Semester Credit Hours
- CLAS (2000 or 3000 Level) 3 Semester Credit Hours
- Creative Arts Elective 3 Semester Credit Hours *
- POLS 1301 - American Government 3 Semester Credit Hours
- Minor Elective (1000 or 2000 Level) 3 Semester Credit Hours
- CLAS (3000 Level) 3 Semester Credit Hours
- Oral Communication Elective 3 Semester Credit Hours *
- CLAS 3000-Level 3 Semester Credit Hours
- CLAS (3000 or 4000 Level) 3 Semester Credit Hours
- Free Elective (3000 or 4000 Level) 4 Semester Credit Hours
- Minor Elective (4000 Level) 3 Semester Credit Hours
Total Hours: 120
* Refer to the General Degree Requirements of Arts and Sciences for a complete list ofqualifying courses.
- A summer or semester of study abroad is strongly recommended.
- See an advisor for courses that fulfill the Language, Philosophy and Culture and Multicultural requirements.