The page uses Browser Access Keys to help with keyboard navigation. Click to learn moreSkip to Navigation

Different browsers use different keystrokes to activate accesskey shortcuts. Please reference the following list to use access keys on your system.

Alt and the accesskey, for Internet Explorer on Windows
Shift and Alt and the accesskey, for Firefox on Windows
Shift and Esc and the accesskey, for Windows or Mac
Ctrl and the accesskey, for the following browsers on a Mac: Internet Explorer 5.2, Safari 1.2, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape 6+.

We use the following access keys on our gateway

n Skip to Navigation
k Accesskeys description
h Help
    Texas Tech University
  Feb 24, 2018
2017-2018 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog

Fields of Study (A-Z)

Majors are the primary undergraduate fields of study.

Minors are fields studied in addition to the major.

Concentrations focus on a specific and often highly specialized area of study within a major. For instance, there is a concentration in criminology within a sociology major. Concentrations (also called Specializations in some areas) are listed along with their parent major or area of study; more information regarding specific concentrations can be found in the area of the catalog referencing those majors.

For information on teacher certification, pre-professional fields, and temporary designations for students who have not declared a major, see below.


Undergraduate Minor

Undergraduate Certificate

Undergraduate Concentration

Accelerated Bachelor's to Master's Degree

Intra-institutional Dual Degree

Inter-institutional Dual Degree



Graduate Minor

Graduate Certificates

Graduate Certificate Preparation Programs

Graduate Concentration

Doctoral Track

Temporary Designations for Students Who Have Not Declared a Major

Special temporary designations are intended to provide appropriate advisement to students who have not yet declared a major. Students declaring a temporary designation will take courses to complete core curriculum and GPA requirements in preparation for entering a major. Academic advisors from the supervising college or department will assist students to choose appropriate courses and a best-fit degree program.

To file a degree plan, students must declare a major. Students normally change from the temporary designation and declare a major by the time they have earned 45 to 60 semester credit hours.

Students who have not decided on a major should consider one of the following alternatives for a temporary designation:

  • An undecided student can be designated initially as University Undecided and Exploratory. The Exploratory designation is most appropriate for students who are exploring majors in a variety of academic disciplines and colleges. Through the university’s Discovery! process , students can explore best-fit majors by aligning values, interests, skills, and abilities. Exploratory status allows students the freedom to explore best-fit academic majors while staying on track in progress toward a degree. For more information on the University Undecided and Exploratory designation, contact Texas Tech University Advising, 79 Holden Hall, T 806.742.2189, F 806.742.2200,,
  • Students who are only exploring majors that fall within one particular academic college should check with advisors in that specific college.
  • Students who aspire to apply to a law, dental, medical, nursing, optometry, or pharmacy school or to one of a full range of health career professional schools (e.g., physical therapy, physician assistant) should consult the Pre-Professional Programs  section of this catalog and seek appropriate advisement as recommended.
  • Students who aspire to pursue pre-veterinary medicine should refer to Pre-Veterinary Medicine  and seek advisement from the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources.
  • Students who desire to obtain an engineering degree should refer to Pre-Professional Programs , begin with a temporary pre-engineering designation, and seek advisement through Texas Tech University Advising, 79 Holden Hall, T 806.742.2189, F 806.742.2200,,

Teacher Certification

Texas Tech University offers a wide variety of programs that can provide certification for students desiring careers in education. Teacher certification concentrations are available in the following areas:

  • All Level Art (AART)
  • All Level Music (AMUS)
  • All Level Theatre Arts (ATHE)
  • Elementary Bilingual Spanish Generalist (EBSP)*
  • Elementary ESL Generalist (EESL)*
  • Elementary Generalist (EGNL)†
  • Elementary Math/Science (MSEL)*
  • Language Literacy Education (EDLL)*
  • Middle-Level English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies (MERS)*
  • Middle-Level Math (MMAT)*
  • Middle-Level Math/Science (MMSE)*
  • Middle-Level Science (MSC)*
  • Agricultural Food and Natural Resources (SAST)
  • Secondary Biology (MLBI)‡
  • Secondary Chemistry (SCHE)
  • Secondary Chemistry (MLCH)‡
  • Secondary Dance (SDNC)
  • Secondary English, Language Arts, and Reading (SELR)
  • Secondary Family Consumer Sciences (SFCS)
  • Secondary French (SFRE)
  • Secondary Geosciences (MLGS)‡
  • Secondary German (SGER)
  • Secondary History (SHIS)
  • Secondary Hospitality, Nutrition, and Food Sciences (SHNF)
  • Secondary Journalism (SJOU)
  • Secondary Life Earth Science (RLEM)‡
  • Secondary Life Science (SLFS)
  • Secondary Physics/Math (SPHM)‡
  • Secondary Science (SSCI)‡
  • Secondary Social Studies (SSST)
  • Secondary Spanish (SSPA)
  • Secondary Speech (SSPE)
  • Special Education (AGSE)*
* As part of Multidisciplinary Studies major.
† As part of Multidisciplinary Studies or Early Childhood majors.
‡ As part of Multidisciplinary Science major.

Pre-Professional Fields

Pre-Professional fields are a designation, not a major. For example, pre-law and pre-medicine are not majors. They designate a career path that will require a professional school after graduation. Pre-professional students who plan to earn a baccalaureate degree must choose a major in an academic discipline by their junior year and complete the courses required for admission into the professional school (e.g., law school). A program advisor can guide you in meeting the specific requirements for entry into a professional school (, Available pre-professional fields include the following:

  • Clinical Laboratory Science (PMDT)
  • Occupational Therapy (POCP)
  • Physical Therapy (PPHT)
  • Physician Assistant (PHPA)
  • Pre-Dentistry (PDEN)
  • Pre-Engineering (PREN)
  • Pre-Law (PLAW)
  • Pre-Medicine (PMED)
  • Pre-Nursing (PNUR)
  • Pre-Optometry (POPT)
  • Pre-Pharmacy (PPAR)
  • Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences (PRCD)