Jul 25, 2024  
2017-2018 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog 
2017-2018 Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Family and Consumer Sciences Education, M.S.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Graduate Programs by College

About the Family and Consumer Sciences Education Master’s Program

The Lubbock campus Master of Science in Family and Consumer Sciences Education (FCSE) is designed to prepare individuals for advancement in family and consumer sciences careers. A minimum of 36 semester hours is required for the degree and includes either a thesis option or professional portfolio option. Required coursework includes curriculum development, evaluation, educational leadership, and research methods. The thesis option requires statistics.

An online master’s degree program with two options is offered in collaboration with the Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance (GPIDEA).

The first option is a non-thesis program designed for individuals who have a bachelor’s degree in a family and consumer sciences content specialization or related area and are interested in obtaining initial certification/licensure for teaching family and consumer sciences at the secondary level. The online program consists of 41 semester hours and includes the pedagogy courses required for certification. Teacher certification standards vary by state, and students must meet any additional certification requirements mandated by the state in which they wish to be certified.

The second online option is designed for FCSE professionals who are certified teachers or who are working in educational settings. This program consists of 36 semester hours and provides a thesis option or a professional portfolio option.

Students admitted to the GPIDEA program register for all courses at Texas Tech, but the courses may be taught by faculty at any of the participating institutions. Additional information is available at https://www.depts.ttu.edu/hs/fcse/master.phphttp://www.depts.ttu.edu/elearning/masters/family-and-consumer/ or by contacting an FCSE advisor.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Graduate Programs by College